Alphathon at Singapore Management Unversity
Singapore Management University and WorldQuant Virtual Research Center are collaborating to launch the inaugural SMU Alphathon for students from these universities;
- Singapore Management University
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
As part of the WorldQuant Challenge, the WorldQuant SMU Alphathon enables participants to enhance their knowledge of Quantitative Finance and Data Science through a series of workshops and webinars.
Participants will have the opportunity to apply their knowledge by developing their own financial market signals (alphas) using WebSim, WorldQuant’s web-based simulation platform, to compete against other participants’ alphas in the Alphathon.
How the SMU Alphathon Works
The objective of the competition is to develop high-quality financial market signals (alphas) using WebSim. Qualified candidates earn points by creating alphas and these points can lead to Bronze, Silver and Gold status. Individuals who achieve Silver and Gold status may be considered for research consulting opportunities with WorldQuant.
The WorldQuant SMU Alphathon makes the WorldQuant Challenge even more exciting by offering the top 3 Gold finishers a one-time special stipend once each qualifies to be a Research Consultant
- Top Scorer: The top ranked participant in the SMU Alphathon will be considered for a one-time special stipend of up to USD $500 in our discretion.
- #2 Scorer: The individual whose final score ranked second within the SMU Alphathon will be considered for a one-time special stipend of up to USD $300 in our discretion.
- #3 Scorer: The individual whose final score ranked third within the SMU Alphathon will be considered for a one-time special stipend of up to USD $200 in our discretion.
For participants who demonstrate a strong understanding of alpha creation, WorldQuant may also offer the opportunity to interview for potential internship and, where available, full-time employment opportunities with WorldQuant.
The WorldQuant SMU Alphathon runs from the 15th of January to the 8th of February 2019.
Registration: 24th December 2018 to 8th February 2019
Competition: 15th January 2019 to 8th February 2019
If you haven’t yet registered for a WebSim account, Register now to ensure your participation in this exciting competition!
Note that only Alphas created, simulated and submitted on or after 15th January, 2019 and before 8th February, 2019 will be considered for SMU Alphathon scoring.
Please refer to the guidelines for a full explanation of how the SMU Alphathon works.
We encourage you to continue learning through all of the materials in the Help Section, and get ready to test your ideas!
No consulting or employment opportunity nor any compensation is guaranteed; any engagement as a research consultant, intern or full-time employee is subject to satisfactory completion of a background check, execution of a relevant consulting, internship or employment agreement (as applicable) and any other applicable requirements in the discretion of WorldQuant.